The Good, The Bad…And The REAL “Ugly” Of Mold
A quick search of the word “mold” brought up a host of different images – and meanings. Molds for shaping desserts – good…molds for casting artwork – lovely…mold for aging cheeses – tasty…mold to create penicillin – lifesaving. Then, there’s the OTHER mold – hiding behind baseboards, creeping up walls, invading your bathroom. Something we’d say is anything BUT “appetizing” or helpful!
So while we can appreciate the tasty foods, beautiful creations and health benefits of many “molds,” NOBODY wants those nasty little organisms growing in your home or office. Not only is it unsightly (to say the very least), but the long-term effects can be a LOT worse than the cosmetic impact!
When we think of mold in this context, the phrase “black mold” immediately comes to mind. However, most people fail to realize there can be MULTIPLE types of mold lurking in your home or office…and regardless of its “color,” all types of mold should be dealt with as soon as possible and treated by professionals with the skills and equipment for proper remediation.
And make no mistake about it, time is of the essence when faced with the possible growth of mold spores. These microscopic organisms waste no time in setting up housekeeping, and when the proper conditions occur after any sort of water-related “incident” those little buggers get down to business – within 48 HOURS! After that, it doesn’t take long for them to produce just the initial allergens and irritants, and possibly causing health effects.
Now up to this point we’ve only discussed the physical side effects of mold exposure on people; this doesn’t even cover how it can affect the actual structure of your home or business. As living organisms actively-growing mold spores damage the material it lives on, thereby impairing STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY of any surface! So not only can it cause long-term ill effects on your health, but actually destroy your building.
Now that you know after water (or any excessive moisture) intrudes on your property it can promote mold growth as quickly as 48 hours, it’s important to remain vigilant and know all the facts, such as:
- Mold is present almost everywhere – indoors and outdoors
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors or HVAC systems…and even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or pet
- Mold spores thrive on moisture and can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water, which may produce allergens and irritants
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed, otherwise the mold may return
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that “aroma” can lead you to possible mold problem areas
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth, so it’s important to keep indoor humidity below 45%
It’s obvious that even a “little” mold is not something to take lightly…and should be handled by licensed, trained, professionals like the team at SERVPRO of Northwest San Antonio. Fortunately with specialized equipment and years of experience, we can remove the “bad and ugly” of any mold growth – and just leave you to breathe easy and enjoy the “good” life!